Sunday, March 04, 2007

Article 2 for Blog Submission 1: Term 1

Article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/12/AR2006061201266.html

Review of Article:
This article is indeed very shocking. This article illustrates just how much humans are destroying the environment. If polar bears are turning to cannibalism just to survive now, I cannot imagine just how bad the global warming is. You may say: "Oh, this has nothing to do with me," but I know how closely related this is to me. Global warming affects every one. I live in Singapore, where temperatures are at an average of 32 degrees celsius every day. If there was to be global warming, the temperature in Singapore will be higher, maybe 35, maybe even 40 or higher. How am I to survive then? This phenomenon is more impactful than it seems. However, it seems that this article is assuming a lot of things. For example, the article has not specified whether it had been scientifically proven that the female polar bear WAS cannibalised by another male polar bear. For all we know, the carcass that they found could have been eaten by a human. Now, this may sound ridiculous, but, the article did not specify whether prints of another polar bear was found near the carcass. Also, even though there is adequate evidence provided, I do not feel that the arguments presented are very strong arguments. It seems too farfetched to be believed and other than the polar bears, there was no other evidence provided. To me, frankly, even though it is shocking, but the idea of cannibalism also sounds ridiculous. Of course, the author could have seen the carcass for himself, thus seeing something I don't. For me to understand, I need to have sufficient proof that this is true, maybe a picture of the carcass. However, no pictures were given. However, I can see that the author was trying to make me see that global warming was indeed a very big threat to the survival of endangered animals and even humans ourselves. I do realise that I have limited knowledge about this topic, I am not an expert on polar bears, nor have I been given conclusive evidence of the evidence in this article. Also, being in Singapore, a country far away from Alaska, I am skeptical about the extent of global warming and I might misunderstand the exact implications of global warming because of living in a totally different geographical location. However, from this article, I feel that I can actually use the knowledge in this article to actually educate people about the need to recycle and reuse things to reduce the effect of global warming. Also, I can use the knowledge to discuss the state of global warming with people and thus understand more about this phenomenon. Lastly, I know that I am not knowledgeable enough to discourse on this article, thus, my thinking that global warming is not very impactful should be modified to suit this particular situation by learning more about global warming and its implications on the Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home